File puptcrit/puptcrit.0601, message 80

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 15:23:53 -0800
Subject: Re: [Puptcrit] Find Waldo

We call 'em "yak straps"


Animal Makers Inc.
Designing and Performing Signature Characters for the
Location-based Entertainment Industries Since 1979
  Creative Director, Jim Boulden
  Phone 805-527-6200 / Fax 805-527-6210
775 East Cochran St. Unit F
Simi Valley, California 93065
Web Site:

On Oct 14, 2005, at 6:33 AM, wrote:

> I recently mentioned "Waldo"  as a puppeteer's computer input  
> device  in the
> thread regarding puppet slang. After doing a bit of research  
> regarding  the
> term, I realized that I had forgotten that  "Waldo" had been   
> trademarked and
> registered by The Character Shop. They use the term to  describe  
> all sorts of
> motion capture devices used in their business, including a  mask- 
> like device to
> capture facial expressions. That goes beyond what I  comprehend a  
> "Waldo" to
> be. In a guilt ridden description of their usurping  ownership of  
> the term, The
> Character Shop web site describes the literary origin  of the word.
> That being the case, I would like to solicit suggestions  for a new  
> generic
> term describing a motion capture device specifically  intended to  
> capture a
> puppeteer's mouth puppet movements.
>      -Steven->
> _______________________________________________
> List address:
> Admin interface: 
> Archives:

List address:
Admin interface:


Driftline Main Page


Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005