File puptcrit/puptcrit.0803, message 477

To: <>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:37:46 -0400
Subject: [Puptcrit] Industrial type PVA?

I have to find "industrial PVA", whatever they call it here on the American continent anyway.
I learned about it from a paper mache artist in the UK, he uses his local store's proprietary brand, so can't help us with what its called elsewhere. He says it's MUCH stronger than regular white glue, and can dilute with water up to 80% and still get a lot of strenght.

It's used in the construction industry for brixk laying and I think he mention sealing of dry walls.

Does anyone know of what he is talking about, what it's really called technically, and what some brands may be?
Even if you just know the industry in which it is used, it would be a good clue.

I already use a MUCH stronger PVA, it's called Weldbond. But I'm always interested in trying new stuff, and if it's closer in finish to white glue, than all the better.

The only problems with Weldbond for my purposes are: it's too flexible to use when I need a stiff result, and it's too glossy.
I'ts a great medium to use with acrylic paint though, to turn them into scratch resistant and more adherant paints.

The "too flexible" problem becomes an advantage, when I need semi-flexible paper mache. For instance, when attaching horns to a plastic headband, weldbond is THE glue to use along with a strong thin paper, such as rice paper or coffee filters.

List address:
Admin interface:


Driftline Main Page


Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005