File puptcrit/puptcrit.0803, message 509

To: <>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 00:17:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [Puptcrit] Industrial type PVA?

I have used Elvanol (or Elvenol).  It comes in a powder and must be
dissolved in hot (say boiling point) water.  I have used it thick for maches
and thin as a paint binder for powdered scene paint.  It was (back when I
did that sort of thing) available from commercial paint suppliers.  Probably
on the web.  Very little smell unless you overheat it or let it burn, then
it is time to leave the building. (a Lot like old fashioned rabbit glue.)

Richard B. Johnson, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Actor, Director,
Puppeteer, Playwright, Teacher,Writer, Thingmaker, Mormon, Person, Fool.  I
sometimes think that the last persona is the most important- and most

-----Original Message-----
From: []
On Behalf Of Mathieu René
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2008 11:38 AM
Subject: [Puptcrit] Industrial type PVA?

I have to find "industrial PVA", whatever they call it here on the American
continent anyway. I learned about it from a paper mache artist in the UK, he
uses his local store's proprietary brand, so can't help us with what its
called elsewhere. He says it's MUCH stronger than regular white glue, and
can dilute with water up to 80% and still get a lot of strenght.

It's used in the construction industry for brixk laying and I think he
mention sealing of dry walls.

Does anyone know of what he is talking about, what it's really called
technically, and what some brands may be? Even if you just know the industry
in which it is used, it would be a good clue.

I already use a MUCH stronger PVA, it's called Weldbond. But I'm always
interested in trying new stuff, and if it's closer in finish to white glue,
than all the better.

The only problems with Weldbond for my purposes are: it's too flexible to
use when I need a stiff result, and it's too glossy. I'ts a great medium to
use with acrylic paint though, to turn them into scratch resistant and more
adherant paints.

The "too flexible" problem becomes an advantage, when I need semi-flexible
paper mache. For instance, when attaching horns to a plastic headband,
weldbond is THE glue to use along with a strong thin paper, such as rice
paper or coffee filters.

List address:
Admin interface:

List address:
Admin interface:


Driftline Main Page


Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005