File puptcrit/puptcrit.0904, message 202


To: <puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:37:02 -0400
Subject: Re: [Puptcrit] Talking Animals


If you get far enough into the Oz books, it becomes clear that all the
animals except Toto in the Land of Oz can talk. This becomes clear even to
Dorothy at one point (I forget which book), who starts to wonder why Toto
has never spoken. She asks one of the other characters, who replies that
maybe Toto just doesn't want to talk. Dorothy turns to Toto and says "Toto,
you say something right now."  Toto says "NO!" and runs away.

Preston

-----Original Message-----
From: puptcrit-bounces-AT-puptcrit.org [mailto:puptcrit-bounces-AT-puptcrit.org]
On Behalf Of Mary Horsley
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:30 PM
To: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
Subject: Re: [Puptcrit] Talking Animals

For sure! And look at the musical, "Wicked". The citizens of OZ were  
trying to stop the animals from being human-like. Then there is  
Aesop....


Mary Horsley
mphorsley-AT-verizon.net



On Apr 14, 2009, at 3:41 PM, puppetpro-AT-aol.com wrote:

> The reasons that animals talk in folk and fairy tales are numerous.  
> They can represent various things -- from emotions, desires,  
> fears...to character types, or, like in the Narnian tales, Christ.
> I'm not sure what children's literature would be like without  
> talking animals.
>
> Rolande
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HobgoblinH-AT-aol.com
> To: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
> Sent: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 7:19 am
> Subject: [Puptcrit] Talking Animals
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Dear All--
>
> In reference to a previous e-mail I sent, something of a tirade in
> reference to the joys of anthropomorphism, I offer this odd  anecdote.
>
> By way of intro, I teach in the public schools, and German is one  
> subject
> I teach. Because the textbooks available on the market offer no  
> stories that
> appeal to me-- most nowadays are modern conversations about  
> schoolwork or
> travel  or friends-- I have written a few fairy tales in German,  
> because the
> textbooks  of a hundred years ago more often had fables, fairy  
> tales, and
> heroic  tales, which are more challenging linguistically, but more  
> fun to
> struggle  though. Besides, the Germans have a grand tradition of  
> fairy tales
> and heroic  tales.
>
> That being said, I was speaking to another teacher friend, who was   
> talking
> about retiring, and I asked him how he would keep from getting bored  
> in
> retirement. He said he was thinking about illustrating children's  
> books, as he
> had been an artist most of his life, and he had a brother who was a
>
> publisher of  such things. I mentioned that I had written some  
> stories, but one
> was my  favorite, and it would be nice to see it printed. He was  
> interested,
> so I  translated it into English for him, and with some nervousness  
> handed it
> over. He seemed pretty excited, and read it over a few times and got  
> back
> to me  the next day.
>
> The upshot was, he told me that his grandmother had told him  
> children's
> stories should never have talking animals in them. (The story  
> involves a
> bear, a fish, an old woman, and a jester. They all talk, and the  
> bear is the
> main character.) This teacher asked me if I could just change the  
> story a
> little so that all the talking and plot manipulation could involve  
> the  old
> woman and the jester, so that the bear wouldn't have to talk --  
> never mind  the
> fish.
>
> My mouth was hanging open. I really could not argue very coherently,
> because on such a subject, the waters run too deep. All I could say  
> was that I
> had read endless stories for children in which animals talked, and the
> teacher  said, yes, but his grandmother had written children's  
> fiction -- as if
> that made  her the last court of appeal. Yes, I could have said all  
> kinds of
> clever things,  but if an illustrator feels animals shouldn't talk,  
> then he
> obviously can't  illustrate the story. So I told him the point wasn't
> negotiable; end of  story.
>
> Except it didn't end there. My head was buzzing for days about all=2
> 0the
> things I should have said -- Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh,  
> Grimm's
> Tales, and on and on. I felt guilty for all the grand books I had  
> not defended.
> Then I resolved to overcome all the technical difficulties which  had
> prevented us from doing the story as a puppet show, just to get  the  
> thing out
> of my system. So spring begins, and I'm back to carving, starting   
> with the
> poor, maligned bear, who shouldn't be allowed to talk because he is  
> in  a
> children's story. And the look on his face -- hopeful, yet  
> bewildered and lost
> -- I know it's my face, because that's just how I felt, hearing from  
> a 
> friend  that animals shouldn't talk in children's stories.
>
> What a world,
> Alice
>
> **************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just  
> 2 Easy
> Steps!
>
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221421325x1201417411/aol?redir=htt
p:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx 
> %3
> Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DAprilAvgfooterNO62)
> _______________________________________________
> List address: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
> Admin interface: http://lists.puptcrit.org/mailman/listinfo/puptcrit
> Archives: http://www.driftline.org
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> List address: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
> Admin interface: http://lists.puptcrit.org/mailman/listinfo/puptcrit
> Archives: http://www.driftline.org

_______________________________________________
List address: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
Admin interface: http://lists.puptcrit.org/mailman/listinfo/puptcrit
Archives: http://www.driftline.org


_______________________________________________
List address: puptcrit-AT-puptcrit.org
Admin interface: http://lists.puptcrit.org/mailman/listinfo/puptcrit
Archives: http://www.driftline.org

   

Driftline Main Page

 

Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005