File spoon-archives/bhaskar.archive/bhaskar_2001/bhaskar.0109, message 46


Subject: RE: BHA: RE: Is (C)reality wrestling with ideology
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:51:45 +0100


Dick,

Your post is very provocative and alive, but I'm not sure I accept that the
West's global influence is declining.  I don't know anything about Charles
Lemert.  Did he write that in a book?  Can you give details of the source?
Once again thank you for picking up my thread.

Phil Walden

> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu
> [mailto:owner-bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu]On Behalf Of Richard
> Moodey
> Sent: 21 September 2001 18:50
> To: bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu
> Subject: Re: BHA: RE: Is (C)reality wrestling with ideology
>
>
> Charles Lemert recently wrote POSTMODERNISM IS NOT WHAT YOU THINK.  He
> means postmodernism is not simply a way of thinking, but a
> condition of the
> world.  Some major aspects of this condition are cultural
> fragmentation and
> the decreasing dominance of "the West."
>
> Dick Moodey
>
> At 07:14 PM 09/19/2001 +0100, you wrote:
> >Bwanika,
> >
> >I don't understand all of your English but I want to try to
> respond to the
> >issues you are raising.  The American intellectual Fredric
> Jameson wrote a
> >1991 book called POSTMODERNISM: OR THE CULTURAL LOGIC OF LATE CAPITALISM.
> >In this book Jameson attempts to show (I think convincingly) that
> >postmodernism is a "condition" that Marxism has so far
> completely failed to
> >face up to.  Jameson lays down the challenge to Marxism (and his
> own work is
> >pathbreaking here) to philosophically confront postmodernism and to
> >undermine postmodernism by doing what his 1991 book does - taking
> >postmodernism seriously.  His point is that postmodernism is not
> a passing
> >ideology that is fading away or a game being played by
> postmodernists in the
> >universities - a game which they are supposed to be losing - but rather
> >postmodernism has a real material basis in contemporary Western society.
> >One of the obvious sources of this real material basis is that
> the mass of
> >the population receives its information about the world through the
> >television.  Thus abstract images are imposed by the bourgeoisie onto a
> >population which, in the absence of a viable communist party, is
> gradually
> >losing its critical capacities.  This is a problem Marxism in
> the West has
> >so far completely failed to confront because there was, and still is, a
> >presumption that postmodernism was a fad and would simply go away.  In my
> >opinion even Bhaskar's work has only scratched the surface of the problem
> >because although he strongly defends dialectics he fails to show how
> >dialectics needs to be developed in order to challenge postmodern
> >consciousness.  Or, at least, I can't see how he faces up to this in his
> >work.  Hope this is interesting to you.  Can you tell me what do you mean
> >when you say "Is time elastic and are choices infinite
> justice?".  It might
> >help to say that I believe that the universe had no beginning - it has
> >always existed - but that there is objective historical time, and choices
> >(being mental activity) are part of the real material world.  I
> believe that
> >the latter assertion has been demonstrated by the dialectical
> materialism of
> >Joseph Dietzgen.  In my view where Bhaskar might be making a
> contribution in
> >FEW, amongst all the mumbo-jumbo, is in presenting the possibility of a
> >reconciliation of faith and reason which Hegel started but which urgently
> >needs to be developed.
> >
> >Phil Walden
> >
> >
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: owner-bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu
> > > [mailto:owner-bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu]On Behalf Of
> > > DBBwanika-AT-netscape.net
> > > Sent: 20 September 2001 09:54
> > > To: bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu; psn-AT-csf.colorado.edu
> > > Subject: BHA: Is (C)reality wrestling with ideology
> > >
> > >
> > > Sociologist Erving Goffman wrote a book called (I think) The
> > > Social Creation of Reality in Everyday Life .This title
> > > encapsulates the issue:
> > >
> > > People and their societies grown up to believe in things that
> > > seem to make alot of common sense. What is the truth ? Is time
> > > elastic and are choices
> > > infinite justice
> > >
> > > The facts of matter are more complex than ideology- virtual
> > > reality is not neccessarily reality. Is this  only the beginning
> > > of Demasking the world
> > > shrouded in naivity?
> > > --
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ____________
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Bwanika
> > >
> > > url: http://www.uganda.co.ug
> > > e-mail: dbbwanika-AT-netscape.net
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > __________________________________________________________________
> > > Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift
> > > ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with
> > > Shop-AT-Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/
> > >
> > > Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at
> >http://webmail.netscape.com/
> >
> >
> >
> >      --- from list bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu ---
> >
> >
> >
> >      --- from list bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu ---
>
>
>
>
>      --- from list bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu ---
>



     --- from list bhaskar-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu ---

   

Driftline Main Page

 

Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005