File spoon-archives/marxism-international.archive/marxism-international_1997/marxism-international.9710, message 56


Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 14:52:38 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: M-I: Wall Street. Using Villains for Capitalist Apologetics.


On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Siddharth Chatterjee wrote:
> 
> In the above, Louis P writes about Lyndon Larouche, an odious character
> for sure, who masquerades as a socialist in order to hide his fascist
> colors. However, if one replaces the pronoun "he" by "Deng" or the
> current "Castro", and replaces "Reagan" by Fujimori, what conclusions
> can one draw?
> 

None whatsoever. The Cuban Communist Party is within the workers movement. 
By the workers movement, I include the CP's, the Maoists, the Trotskyists
and the Social Democrats. Lyndon Rouche's group is part of the far right
constellation in the United States which includes the Ku Klux Klan, the
White Aryan Resistance, etc. I am a Castroite. I am not a fascist. If you
can not tell the difference between the utterances of someone like myself,
who identifies with the Castroist current, and the Jew-bating fascist
followers of Lyndon Larouche, then you have been holding back on me, dear
friend. You would not ask a follower of Larouche how to get computers to
India. 

> I am not so sure any longer, Louis, that Adolfo's concept is all "looney-
> tunes". In fact, I have been trying, in the role of a devil's advocate,
> to blow holes into the concept of "social fascism" in an internal
> dialogue. So far, I have been unsuccesful in dismissing the
> concept as an outlandish one. Would you say that Larouche is a "social
> fascist" - that is, he speaks about socialism but actually means fascism?
> That this demagoguery can and, indeed, has taken in a lot of unsuspecting
> and good people?
> 

No, Larouche is a real fascist. The term "social fascist" was used by the
German Communist Party against the Social Democracy, in the same way that
Adolfo uses it against Castro. The German Social Democracy was not fascist
by any stretch of the imagination. Fascism aims at the destruction of all
organizations of the working-class, its parties and the unions. After
Hitler destroyed the CP, he went after the SP next.  Lenin argued for a
united front against the German ultraright, an alliance between the CP and
the SP. Zinoviev and Stalin dumped this policy during the "third period",
so named because it was supposed to be the period after the "second" in
which capitalism had restabilized itself in the 1920s. In the "third
period", every license was given to ultraleft madness, including urging
German workers to vote for a Nazi referendum to unseat the Socialists in
Saxony in 1930. The goal should have been to unite the left, not one
leftist parties and the Nazis.


> One hesitates to use the word "social fascist" to describe the Cuban
> regime with good reasons due to its past history. But what about the
> present? Would you acknowledge, from all the hard data that we have
> seen so far, that the Cuban regime is on a restorationist road? And
> *what* lies at the end of this road for a country in the third world
> remembering what happened in China under Deng and now under Jiang
> Zemin?
> 

Of course there are restorationist tendencies in Cuba, by why muddle
things by calling them "fascist". The Havel regime in the Czech republic
is restorationist, but not fascist.

> 
> What, for example, do you think of his latest post on the issue in
> which he traces the transformation of erstwhile social democrats into
> reactionary social chauvinists? And he says that social fascism 
> is just a little way further down this road.
> 

Mussolini started out as an Italian Socialist. James Burnham started out
as a Trotskyist. Whittaker Chambers started out as a Communist. This does
not invalidate the character of the parties they belonged to when they
were honest revolutionaries. (In the case of Mussolini, I realize that
this is stretching the term, but you get what I mean...) The point is that
we should not prejudge people in politics, or assume the worst of them.
This is a Trotskyite habit, and it is worse than crack cocaine... Or even
worse, tobacco. Adolfo is a brilliant fellow but he has the same illness
as Rodwell and the other Trotskyites. Anybody who does not agree with him
is in danger of being read out of the workers movement.

Louis Proyect



     --- from list marxism-international-AT-lists.village.virginia.edu ---

   

Driftline Main Page

 

Display software: ArchTracker © Malgosia Askanas, 2000-2005